Saturday, March 29, 2008

Trader Joes. No comment.

Pregnant Guy. No comment.

Roundabout Art. I kind of like the metal circle, 'Lodestar.'

Clinton coming to Bend High. I was there when Robert Kennedy visited. Even though my Mom was head of the McCarthy campaign (and 'Mothers For Peace') I got caught up in the excitement and shook his hand about 3 times. My friend Wes, who was for Nixon, and I stood on the front seats and shouted and raised Nixon and McCarthy signs and were annoying. (Wes isn't going to like me telling this -- but we were young enough to be 'for' whoever our parents were 'for'.) Felt almost sorry for Kennedy. Call it charisma, there was a mania around him all the time. He lost Oregon, by the way. And then went to California. .........(Gong of foreboding.........)

Nixon sent his two daughters, and we crashed the event at the Pine Tavern. When I came up to shake hands, Julie looked down at my tennis shoes where I had inked in a big "L" and a big "R" and thought that was pretty funny. Called her sister, (Tricia?), over and they had a big laugh, and I stood there, half embarrassed, half pleased, like a little dufus. Really deserved that. Can't believe I had that much gall back then.

Yesterday I had a real pang of nostalgia, because even with snow on the ground, I had an image of my Mom in her windbreaker racking the leaves away from the daffodil buds.

The location across from my wife's Bookmark is for sale. 7,000 sq. ft. I wish I had 2.35 Million to spend....it also is the 15th or 16th spot for sale or rent on Greenwood. Meanwhile, all the vacant spots on Minnesota are now filled. It took 3 months for the Wild Women location to be taken, which is about 3 months longer than normal, but still pretty quick.

J.C. Penny announces lower forecasts. I suspect we'll hear a bunch of this, with a couple of jokers who will (probably by manipulating stats) announce an unexpected increase. Stock goes up, insiders sell out. But I think most will dump all those bad debts and stuff into an acknowledged period of recession.

Not to worry. They're about the create a black hole at CERN in Geneva that will destroy us all.

2 comments:

Duncan McGeary said...

Told my wife the black hole story, and she said a psychic has written a book saying there is no such thing as black holes.

Oh, No!

Who do I believe?

Psychics or scientists?

Give me a sign!

Duncan McGeary said...

Old fashioned tennis shoes used to have this white oval at the toes, and I would ink in L on my left toe, and R on my right toe. Probably in glass, while I was bored.