Monday, March 31, 2008

Had a young lady in the store last week, who has been a customer for years. She recently moved to the valley, and started reading books on her parents' bookshelf.

She finished a book called SNOWCASTLES, and realized it was autographed. Wait.....I know this guy! She went to her mother, is this the Duncan from Pegasus? Why didn't anyone tell me?

Anyway, she was very effusive in her compliments. (She's a very effusive person...) But I do think she genuinely liked it. She started asking me questions about characters and plot, and we both realized she knew more about the book than I did. It's been 30 years, after all. I can't read my own writing....all I see are all the flaws.

Anyway, it once again affirms my observation that every time I've run into someone who really, really liked one of my books, no bullshit, I can tell they really liked it, it was someone who hadn't met me yet.

One of those weird, author's voice, credibility issues. They know me, and it suddenly becomes less impressive somehow. I know I'm the same way.

I didn't talk much about my books for 20 years or so. I really don't want to hear if you don't like it, frankly, or have to embarrass someone into saying something like...."oh, it was interesting."

You know, it's not really a inferiority complex. I think my books for the right age and right person are right on. (My 17 year old self.) Just one of those things. So most people don't even know I did it.

Best of all is when someone finds it themselves, and reads it without any preconceptions and likes it.

Gives me a charge every time.

No comments: