Thursday, March 6, 2008

I dreamed last night that I was talking to a graphic novel artist who was berating me for not carrying enough inventory.

I woke up, wondering WTF?

I carry way too many marginal graphic novels....artistically worthy but slow selling....because I want to, because I like them, because I get a kick of ego boost out of people from out of town telling me I have the best selection they've ever seen.

What prompted the dream, I think, was a headline on a trade publication I caught sight of just as I was going to bed:

"Over 3300 Graphic Novels Released in 2007."

This is mind-boggling number. Ten years ago, it was a bit of a struggle to come up with enough titles to even have a decent graphic novel section in the store.

My store is so packed, that once I've gotten the obvious best-sellers, the biggest titles and events, the strongest authors and artists, I have almost no more room left.

I've taken to letting titles filter their own way into my consciousness. A blurb in the magazine, the solicitation in the catalog, reviews online, media attention, samples of art on blogs and bulletin boards. At some point, I write the title down in my notebook, and once it gets there, it usually gets ordered eventually.

It's actually a nice problem to have. Too much selection. Same with movies, books, toys and games. I can endlessly cheery pick.


Meanwhile, I'm sorry about my dire post yesterday -- but it's what I think. With the spring weather coming along, with everyone's spirit's lifting, I think the tendency might be to believe the housing problem is over. Yes, there will be more activity and probably more sales -- but it tis' the season, like saying there are more gifts bought at Christmas.

But the fundamentals haven't really changed -- short credit, over-their-head buyers, too many houses, over-priced houses (yet another story in the Bulletin today that we're the MOST overpriced market in the country) and so on. So when all is said and done, and we won't really probably know until late fall, I think we've got a long ways to go.

No comments: