Sunday, April 6, 2008

Sales have been way up this month. 5 days does not a month make, but still it's nice to get a running start. If I had to guess, it's because the kids are back at school, and I was able to sell to the Washingtonians.

The week before last, Oregon and California were out. Whatever increase I might have gotten from the out-of-towners, was subtracted by the fact that the local kids were out. For those of you who have never heard this -- kids are not my customers, these days. Local kids, especially. It was a flip that happened about 8 years ago -- business going down on the kids out of school days instead of up.

(What about summer, you might ask? Yes, it affects me for most of the month of June, which makes me think that the adults are distracted and preoccupied by the kids; but come to equilibrium by July and August.)

I used to get a little perturbed by this fact, but I've let it go. I greet them upon entry, and go about my business.

And before anyone pops up and says, MY kids come into your store, I'm just saying that it not the bulk of my business, anymore. There is a kind of vague interest, but it doesn't translate into sales. If you had told me 15 years ago that I would be selling more product to middle-aged women than to kids, I would've thought you were crazy. But it's no contest.

Don't believe me? Just stand in my store for an hour or two and watch; one young family after another, who leave buying nothing or a token pack of cards. Meanwhile, grizzled old guys walking up the counter with bunches of graphic novels. Who'd have thunk it?

When I think about it too much, it really bugs me. So I'm trying not to think about it. Really, what's the point of getting upset at something that I can't change?

It would be very easy to fall into the trap of thinking that this new generation of kids are out of whack. But, remember the slogan, "The Kids Are Alright!" ? I have to remind myself that kids who actively enjoyed reading have always been a minority.

And admit to myself what a temptation all the new media is --hell, look at what I spend my time doing. The fact that they don't react to my store full of imagination is because they are overloaded with input. At least, I hope that's the reason.

Every generation thinks the kids of the following generation are messed up, but somehow we keep surviving. I used to question it.

I'm consciously trying to let that all go.

Which is fine. The world moves on.

No comments: