Thursday, April 17, 2008

By the by, I'm not letting the locals off the hook in this process. My Dad was probably typical in that he loved the arrival of Walmart.

But I remember he used to love going into Masterson's St.Clair Hardware and chatting with the guys. They treated him with deference, called him "Doc", and exchanged dirty jokes with him.

Somehow I doubt the clerks at Walmart would call him anything but "Hey, you," and probably wouldn't exchange dirty jokes. In fact, I suspect they'd be fired for exchanging dirty jokes.

But I don't believe that Dad ever once thought that his two loves might be incompatible.

"Hey, Honey, sorry I haven't seen you for awhile.... You know I love you, but you're really expensive and high maintenance. I've found this really cheap tart that gives me everything I need. But you hang in there, Baby. I like having you around...."

No comments: