Friday, April 11, 2008

The age old question. Is it better to hire an introvert or an extrovert?

Actually I've never heard the question addressed. What brought it to mind was Keeneye's need for new employees for her pizza place in Baker City. I hope she won't mind me posting an edited series of exchanges:

She said:

I’m finding myself stalking people when I’m shopping, looking to lure them to quit their jobs and work at our restaurant instead.

If a grocery clerk is friendly, if the Starbucks gal has a nice smile, or if the person at the front desk of any hotel is efficient, I feel like grabbing them, throwing them in my car and whisking them away to work at our place. I just need one, God, just one! PLEASE!


  1. I keep telling you. Hire nerds! Hire introverts, people who aren’t instantly winsome, who are happy to have the job. You’ll be surprised by how often they turn out to have more integrity and hard work than the extroverted charmers.

    And once they’ve worked for awhile, they start to blossom.

    You’re looking for the superficial smile.


  2. Introverts aren’t usually comfortable greeting customers with a smile, making suggestions, making small talk with strangers…

    I hear you about the superficial smile, though. I can see right through those when I patronize establishments with cheesy opening lines.

    We’ve found that our best employees were raised on ranches/farms. Hard-working, pleasant to talk to, take direction well, and appreciate praise for a job well done.


  3. People scoff at my store when I tell them I’m unsocial, an introvert. I’m very outgoing in my own space.

    Introverts just need to get comfortable.

However, I do remember going into a place once where I realized that everyone there was an introvert –shy introverts at that. It was very odd, I must admit.

But, you can bring in one introvert at a time, and eventually, some of them will become extroverted, and they will identify with your place which is what you want.

Just saying….

So what am I saying?

Nowadays I have just one employee at a time, and I can take my time hiring him or her. But back when I had 4 stores, I had up to 7 or 8 employees besides me and Linda.

First of all, whether a person is an introvert or and extrovert, doesn't indicate if they are honest, reliable, hardworking or nice.

That said, I've found that introverts are more honest, reliable and hardworking. Kinda. They do seem to stay more loyal, less flaky about leaving for other jobs, and tend to identify with the store more. And they always become more outgoing, as they get comfortable.

I know that people who read this blog or come into the store can't believe that I could possibly be non-social (I won't say anti-social, cause that isn't it). I think people believe it's some sort of coy stance that I need to be coaxed out of. But not really. If you come in and introduce yourself as a blog reader, I'll immediately get nervous. Or if I meet you in the movie line, as I did a customer last weekend, you're likely to get very short answers out of me.

But I have found that people are more outgoing the more comfortable they get.

Of course, the best kind of employee is the outgoing introvert, or like my wife and Pat, a quiet extrovert.

Damn oxymorons!

1 comment:

Bewert said...

Jeez, Dunc, you've seemed plenty talkative the few times I've been by :)

BTW, I went by Bookmark the other day for the first time. Didn't find what I was looking for but it's a nice space in a great location. I'll be back.