Friday, May 28, 2010

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.

Linda and I went and saw The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo last night. We don't usually go to evening showings, but with the T.V. season pretty much over, I'm thinking we might try to do that more often. It was the Swedish sub-titled version, and I find that I'm sort of self-conscious about reading at first, but by the end of the movie I've forgotten that I'm reading.

Anyway, good movie, very much like the book.

There is a lot of talk about who will play "the girl" in the Hollywood version, and how they'd have a hard time matching this actress. But I suspect this is one of those characters that would be hard to foul up, and will be either a 'star-making' turn or a star enhancing turn.

Brad Pitt as the journalist (?)-- um, not middle-aged weary enough, but if that's what it takes. David Fincher is the director.

The book, by Stieg Larsson, was an interesting experience. The writing isn't slick: it's earnest, clunky even. But I liked that it didn't follow the usual formula. It's full of mundane details, that for some reason don't slow down the action.

Looking back on it, I've decided that what I like about it is the way it goes about solving the mystery. Straight forward, with even the twists and turns coming out of the path of the detection. We are shown each little step in the process, and all of them are logical next steps, and I really like that. I'm not saying it's totally plausible, but it is completely believable..

Like most great mysteries, the ending seems obvious, but it manages to keep you guessing until then.

But it's the details, the foreign culture, the personalities that make the books. And he's created one of those once in a lifetime characters in Lisbeth, who you have to see (or read) to believe.

1 comment:

snacks said...

I loved the book too and can't wait to see the movie. I listened to the audio version of the book (so can I really say that I read it?) and I think that heightened the experience. It was nice to hear the proper pronunciations of the names and places and I think that helped me really get into the story even when it was a bit slow going. I can't wait to get my hands on the third one.

Glad to hear that the movie is worth watching. I think I'll stick with the Swedish version. You know Hollywood will manage to screw it up.