Monday, June 3, 2013

Spoilers, I suppose.

Not sure what the rules are here, but if you haven't seen the latest Game of Thrones, stop reading here.

Wait!  If you haven't seen the latest HBO program -- GO WATCH IT!  Now.  If you don't want to be told...




Anyway, I think Blackfish got away.  Last we saw him, he was off pissing away the banquet mead.

I thought that was an incredibly gruesome episode, more gruesome than the book.  But it's been a long time since I read the book.  The tone in Lady Stark's voice was particularly effective.  Rob's total disbelief.

"Mother?"

Wow.

I actually entertained the notion that they might do a Walking Dead-type change of plot.  But no -- they went there.   The happier they made everyone, the more certain I was that they were going to go there.

For a three years now, I've been reading comments online of people who chose to watch the show without reading the books -- and the remarks always seemed kind of naive.  You just wait, I'd think to myself.  You have no idea.

Also, the weekly wrapups on Salon and Slate were very jocular and easy-going.  It bothered me, I think, without me knowing.  Because these books are no joke.

As a writer, they make me want to try harder, though I know I probably won't even come close.




No comments: