Sunday, June 16, 2013

I guess I wasn't done.

Wrote the second new werewolf chapter last night.

So I have two more in mind to write.

My original concept had been a short 40,000 word novel, brutal and to the point.  I still think such a novel could be written, but it would have to be extremely well written to make it work.  While I like Cormac McCarthy, I don't write like Cormac McCarthy, no matter how cool I think that book would have been. No explanations -- just horror.

Instead, what I wrote was closer to young adult in tone, which was a far cry from what I intended.  Though the second half of the book is so dire, it'll move it to a more adult level.  It's going to be about 60,000 words, and more conventional in form.  (Foreshadowing and explanations.)

I still really like it.

It works the way it came out.  I went ahead and wrote it the way I usually write a book.
I still think the narrative itself is strong, with or without good writing, and now I'm just trying to get the writing as good as I can make it.

I'm going to write the last two werewolves chapters by Wednesday and send it off to my local editor.  Print out a hard copy and work on that with a red pen while it's out being worked on.

She's already done the first three chapters and she does a very thorough job.

At this point, I'm writing faster than my readers can read.  

No comments: