Sunday, January 4, 2015

Worst advice I ever heard.

Some other writer...I'm glad I don't remember her name...said, "Don't waste time on daydreaming."

Really, she said that.  In public.  In an essay.

I cringed, because that's pretty much all I do.  Either I'm writing, or I'm daydreaming.  Or I'm daydreaming and writing at the same time.

Come to think of it, writing IS daydreaming!

So I have a book, Tuskers, coming out in 8 days, and all I'm doing is daydreaming.  No doubt, I'm setting myself up for disappointment.  I think that's what this person would say.

So what?  I'm enjoying these 8 days of daydreaming, baby.  That's 8 more days of daydreaming then this nimrod will have!

She would say, "You're wasting time on daydreaming when you could be writing!"

Well, sure.  But what's the point of writing if you can't enjoy it?

Look -- the odds of success are slim to none.  But the odds of daydreaming about success are 100%!

What I'm saying is, daydreaming is what fuels my writing.  Without daydreaming, I never would have started.  If I looked at the cold hard facts, I'd probably look for something else to do.  Accounting, maybe.  Go back to running the store full time, probably.  It wouldn't be so bad.  I enjoyed my business -- I still enjoy my business.

Of course, owning a small business also entailed a lot of daydreaming.  And spending the rest of my time trying to match the visions in my dreams.

As far as I know, that's how it's done.

You daydream what you want, and then you try to get there.

I still don't understand what that other writer was getting at.  Or what planet she came from.

No comments: