Sunday, January 18, 2015

Making the Strange, Real.

I do believe that Tuskers is probably my most entertaining book -- which by my definition, makes it my best book, because above all I think books need to be fun to read.

I actually think the second book in the Vampire Evolution Trilogy, Rule of Vampire, is probably my best crafted book.  Put together in all the right ways.  (By the way, it is currently free on Amazon.)

I think Led to the Slaughter has the most authenticity, and some genuine emotion.

It looks like Led to the Slaughter and The Dead Spend No Gold are my most steady books, sales wise.

Tuskers has gotten some good reactions, but I'm not sure the world was ready for a Wild Pig Apocalypse.  Probably too outlandish, even though when I write these books, I'm more or less trying to make them as real as possible.

I've had another idea for a book.  Just a frisson of excitement over the idea, which is usually a good sign.  Something in my subconscious really likes it.

It would be called, Gargoyle Dreams: A Love Gothic Story.  And it would be, yep, a love story with a gargoyle, kind of Hunchback of Notre Dame idea.  I don't know if I can write a "love" story, but I want to try.  Linda thinks I should try for Steampunk.

Meanwhile, I want to finish Nobody's Killing Me.  It is important I finish, though I've been stalled.  If it was the book that was stalling me, that would be one thing -- but it's me and the time decisions I'm making.

So I'm going to put my head down and try to finish this story so I can go to the next book.

I have at least 3 or 4 ideas for books, so I'm not worried about that anymore.

I don't know why my books all tend to the fantastical.  I pretty much find everything else boring, and there is absolutely no subject, theme, or idea that can't be done in the world of the fantastical -- in most ways, better than a straightahead drama or whatever.

I mean, the metaphorical possibilities, aligned with the entertainment, just make everything deeper in my opinion.

I don't know why people can't see that.

The automatic rejection of an idea on the face of it simply because it has an element of the fantastical is a failure of imagination.

No comments: