Monday, January 26, 2015

Every book is an experiment.

I've stuck to my 2000 words a day goal as much as I can.

Nobody's Killing Me has been a strange experience.  It may be the most complicated plot I've ever attempted, but I've probably done the least planning.

I'm winging it, letting my subconscious create the solutions and hoping that I can consolidate all the changes later.

Much of the plot is being deliniated by dialogue, which is also very unusual for me.  I'm waiting for characters to say things, to tell me what they're doing and thinking.

I don't have a sense of depth to this story, which is disappointing, but I'm going to finish it anyway.  If I ever try to publish it, I'll need to go back and fill it out.  It needs description and development.  I've got the barebones plot down, like I said, mostly with dialogue.

But I'm going to spend the next 2 weeks finishing the book.

Because 1.) It is important I finish, and it may still surprise me.

and 2.) it's a worthy experiment.  Every writing experience seems to bring out something new, and this one is no exception.

I know it's a cliche, but every book writing experience really is different.  I'd love to bottle what I did with Tuskers, (it emerged quickly and completely) but it doesn't seem to work that way.

No comments: