Friday, November 16, 2012

Reading the PayPer.

Well, that just proves it.

I like the paper Bulletin so much more than the online version.  I just like kicking back with a  paper in the morning.  You know...a "PayPer."  (Hey, did I just coin a word?)

**********

Meanwhile, both Marvel and DC are playing games with their release dates on a e-comics.  It's gone from, "You retailers get it first." to "You retailers get it at the same time." to "You retailers get it a day later."

Not good.

There's an uproar in the retailer community so maybe they'll back off -- for now.

I'm relying somewhat on my customers still wanting to read "PayPer" comics.

**********

My friends Sunrise and Martha brought back The Reluctant Wizard, and they really seemed to like it.  So that was really encouraging.  It's almost the first time I've had readers actually seem enthused by what I wrote.

Anyway, Martha sent me an e-mail with critique, and it was all good.  But one line really stood out:

"I think the language definitely needs to be more vibrant, evoking the senses and imagination; make it like a book Lore could get totally lost in on a summer day."

So I wrote back:

"No small thing. Care to elaborate?"

She answered:

"Maybe keep the senses (sight, hearing, smell, touch) in mind and ask yourself if there are ways to describe things so clearly that it's like the reader is there? Maybe make descriptions kinda in-your-face at first, then bring them back to a realistic but still dynamic medium?
The writing isn't bad or boring by far―I just feel like in general it could have a brighter spark."


So there you go.  See, if I don't have that, I don't have it.  So it's back to the drawing board with her comments in mind.

This is a tough gig.  Writing.

I must say, I'm showing way more patience in the process than I used to....

**********

I keep going back on forth on what book to put forward first, and in what format.

I suppose as long as I haven't finished them, I can keep putting the decision off.



No comments: