Saturday, November 10, 2012

Intuition is mediocre.

There was an interesting article on intuition: "The Science of What We Call Intuition." BRAIN PICKINGS.

Basically, it said that as you become more experienced at something and as you gain more knowledge, intuition becomes easier.

But that most people stall at this point.

To become an expert after you've got intuition down, you have to determine to learn again.

I think this is where I'm at with writing.  I've done enough of it, that I'm O.K. at it -- the intuitive part is relatively easy.

But I'm not an expert.

"...people tend to go through three phases while they improve their performance. During the first phase, the beginner focuses her attention simply on understanding what it is that the task requires and on not making mistakes. 

In phase two, such conscious attention to the basics of the task is no longer needed, and the individual performs quasi-automatically and with reasonable proficiency. Then comes the difficult part. Most people get stuck in phase two: they can do whatever it is they set out to do decently, but stop short of the level of accomplishment that provides the self-gratification that makes one’s outlook significantly more positive or purchases the external validation that results in raises and promotions. 

Phase three often remains elusive because while the initial improvement was aided by switching control from conscious thought to intuition—as the task became automatic and faster—further improvement requires mindful attention to the areas where mistakes are still being made and intense focus to correct them. Referred to as ‘deliberate practice,’ this phase is quite distinct from mindless or playful practice.




The way I was putting it, I'm at the second level of book.

To get to the next level, I need to pay "mindful attention" to what I'm doing.  Make what I'm doing "deliberate practice."

I was bemoaning that it wasn't fun, and that it was work, and that this was stopping me.  But I think I just have to realize this is the price of getting better.  I could go off and write thing after thing on an intuitive level, and it would all be all right, and no doubt I'd learn something each time.

But to get better is going to require that I work at it.  I'll try to  have fun, but ultimately, I have to step back and put some time and effort into it.

Dammit.

No comments: