Thursday, November 8, 2012

Hey, this is supposed to be fun.

As you know, I've been talking about "wrastlin'" with my rewriting, using words like drudgery, and tiresome, and hard work.

I was in my store yesterday, and picked up a Stephen King book at random and read a couple of pages, and it was no fuss, no muss.  It read:  easy-like.

Now, I know getting that effect probably isn't as easy as wanting that effect.

Still, I think I need to get back to concentrating on the fun part of writing.  I'll finish this rewrite the way I planned, but try not to think of it as a chore.

Then, I'll look each time at what I can do that will be fun to do, and keep it going that way.

Also, going to quit sweating the publishing part.  I wanted to get published again just to prove I can do it.  But what do I have to prove? 

I hated the waiting, I hated the trying to find viable venues, I hated the rejections.  I hated that the publishers had so much power, and that it seemed somewhat arbitrary and ambiguous and arrogant and...

Then again, just putting it online with no effort isn't much use either.

Oh, well.  Finish the books, enjoy the process -- and maybe something will pop up.

Just concentrate on the fun of it.

2 comments:

H. Bruce Miller said...

"I know getting that effect probably isn't as easy as wanting that effect."

"Ars est celare artem." ("The art is to conceal the art.") -- Ovid

Nothing's as hard as making writing, or any other art, look easy.

Martha said...

I think just concentrating on the fun of it is a good plan.

I had a similar epiphany as I was trying to get as skilled as possible when I used to ballroom dance. I was so busy trying to perfect the steps and count the rhythm and throw in cool syncopation that I was forgetting to smile and let myself be carried away by the magic of dance. My partners noticed, and although I was getting technically better, I was becoming less the girl everyone wanted to dance with. I may be a little rusty and sometimes a bit sloppy now, but ever since then, even the thought of dance makes me grin and swoon like a fool. And I much prefer it that way.

High five. :)