Friday, November 2, 2012

Oct. Store results.

We beat last year -- by a big 2%.

Up until last month, we'd beaten last year 14 months in a row.  Last month was way down, however.  This was due to the New 52 surge last year.

Since that surge continued on into October, I thought it might be difficult to beat last year, but we managed it.

November was really low last year, so we should be able to beat that.

December was high; so that might be more of problem.

After that, I think it will probably be more back and forth on the totals -- we'll be running up against good months from then on.

COMICS:  -23%.  This was expected, because of the outlier numbers from last year.  About the same as the year before; which isn't actually all that good.  I think the overall trends for comics aren't great, with the occasional gimmick or event pushing sales up instead of underlying strength.

(Comics + Graphic Novels)  I do a mix of the two, which I haven't been listing in these reports, but think I'll start:  -13%

CARDS:  -60%.  These numbers are small and easily influenced by a few sales.

CARD GAMES:  +32%.  The increase is nice and reflects the strength of the new Ravnica release.  Even more encouraging considering how badly they were doing last month.

GAMES:  +60%.  Obviously very encouraging.  Every year around this time I look at the game market and try to decide if another good Christmas is possible , or is the mass market making inroads?  I've decided it looks strong enough to give it the full go.

BOOKS:  +16%.  While the overall trends in much of what I used to carry seems to be on a downslope or static, the books and games continue their steady rise.  So glad I went there.  These two categories run about 25% through most of the year, but at Christmas they can be as much as 40% of sales.

TOYS:  +13%

GRAPHIC NOVELS:  +6%.

Overall, I'm pretty encouraged.

No comments: