Saturday, November 24, 2012

Black days like this.

So every year I point out that I don't think Black Friday deals are all the much better than what you can get before, during and after the holidays.  I mean, there are some extreme deals, but waiting in line for five hours seems kind of crazy to get them...

But you know what?  People like the 'event' of it.  They like to shop.  That's why I don't think brick and mortars will ever become obsolete.

People like to shop. 

**********

I felt like a real writer yesterday.

I took two chapters that were all right, o.k., and I made them better.  Through working on it, and at the same time keeping my creative side in the mix.   Can't explain it.  I felt I was "crafting" the improvements.

Hey, maybe in another dozen years I can do that on a consistent basis...

**********

I've been in a Walmart twice in my life, tagging along with another, and didn't spend money either time.  I've never been in Target.

So...I'm better then you, face it.  ;)

I think Black THURSDAY is crazy!

But you know what?  It may end up helping us small retailers by getting the big rush over earlier.  My theory is that people rush the big boxes first, and then when they get tired of the spectacle, think about the smaller stores.

Combined with "Small Business Saturday" or whatever they're calling it, we may actually be able to snag some of this holiday loot.

**********

Going to beat last year -- but last year was really horrible which makes by shudder about the year before which must have been ever more horrible.  What happened to November?

Anyway, I doubt I'll beat last Christmas, which came in huge for us.  I'm going with full inventory, not "extra" inventory, so I'm expecting lower sales but higher profits this year. 

I'm hoping.

1 comment:

Kevin said...

Did you read the article in the Bullshittin yesterday...local/editorial pages...about brick and mortar bookstores outlasting the chains like B&N and Borders? Kind of nice and part of a bigger book on writers favorite bookstores.