Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Here's a real test for a native Central Oregonian. Remember Crooked River Bob? Old guy hawking real estate at Crooked River, would roll his cowboy hat down his arm and catch it with his hand?

Here's another question? Did you know that Christmas Valley was marketed like the Florida swamplands, complete with 'fake' lake and greenery?

When I was growing up, my Dad used to grumble every time we'd drive by Crooked River Ranch cutoff, mumbling about it being a new Christmas Valley.

Well, yesterday, for the first time in my 55 years in C.O., I actually drove to Crooked River. See, I have had absolutely no reason to go there. My wife has some church friends who live there, so she's seen it.

"Mostly manufactured homes, right? Mobile homes?"

"Oh, no," Linda says. "They're stick built."

Well, yeah, it looked about 50/50 to me, maybe more mobile than otherwise. It was a real hodgepodge, I thought. LaPine on the High Desert. Some gorgeous views, some nice houses mixed in along the canyon. People apparently bought their acres and built just about any old thing. We peeked into an old abandoned hippie hut, gave me the willies. Saw actual A-Frames. Admittedly bleak time of year; tried to imagine summer dust instead of winter mud.

Linda would have a house facing the canyon, I the mountains, proving again just how incompatible we are...:)....; there were a few places like it looked like you could have both.

Lots of security fences, which I pointed out to Linda mentioning they must have a lot of crime. She mentioned the more likely possibility of wildlife; in fact, there was a family of deer right on the edge of the road. Probably cats and dogs are just coyote bait out there.

Interesting experience. Had a bit of a 'vacation' feel. Wonder what Brooks Resources could have done with property like that: but this was being hawked in the '60's and '70's, if I remember right, when anyone with a few thousand bucks down payment was probably welcomed.

But it really is a destination, not a pass through. Understand why residents often comment to me that they're "moving closer to town."

Also visited Yarrow and the Madras prison. Well, they are certainly prepared for a population explosion if it ever comes.

And finally, visited the Super-Wal-mart in Redmond. Didn't buy anything, mind you. Only the second time I've been in a Wal-mart.

Yeah, it big. It be really big. The sound was cushioned pretty well, for such a barn. And lots of people on a Monday night. To get the sense of a crowd in a space that big means there were even more people than one would think. All I can think of is the Crash song:
"I'm all lost in a supermarket....I can never shop happily....I'm all lost in a supermarket....guaranteed personality!"

No comments: