Sunday, September 30, 2007

I love the idea of a Bust-O-Meter for downtown businesses. If it wasn't so mean-spirited and filled with karmic land-mines, I'd do it. (Yes, I'm superstitious that way. I knock wood whenever I say the wrong thing, or someone near me says the wrong thing....either way too positive or way too negative.) I cringed when Paul-doh cheered the demise of the Shire -- bad karma, man.

Still, in my head, I keep a running Bust-O-Meter. Scale of 1 - 10.

1.) Are they locals, or have they lived in Bend long enough to get the flavor? Are they from a big city, and thus have over-inflated notions? Are they from a small town, and thus have over-inflated notions? Do they have a notion of the seasonality of Bend? The neighborhood layouts? Do they realize that most longtime Bendites consider downtown Bend overpriced? That they are under the impression there is no parking? That we've gotten houty-touty? Do they have a way to get locals to their store, or are they depending entirely on the rich and the tourists? Are they aware how much turnover we've seen? How many longtime businesses have quit lately? That gauging success on the existence of stores that have been around for only a few years is tricky?

2.) Do they open within a reasonable length of time? Any longer than 3 months, and the Bust-O-Meter starts going up. A real, work-a-day business would probably contrive to open on the same day the first month's rent is due -- or even get that free. I can't imagine paying rent month after month without bringing in income. A sign that the owner has more money than sense.

3.) Are they focused inside or outside? Do they seem to spend all their time and money on fixtures and accouterments? On recipes and systems? On playthings and computers? Do they talk about the interface with the customers? I always have to make it very clear to my employees that while it's important that all the procedures get done, never, ever put the procedures ahead of the customer.

4.) Are they spending too much money in advance? Are they leaving any space, time, money for mid-course corrections? Do they have so much money they just throw money at every problem, instead of looking for a lower-cost solution? Too much money being spent means not many creative solutions are getting done. It's just a big giveaway that the owner is probably not very flexible and adaptive.

5.) Is their product appropriate for the size of the town? Have they done the research? Are they too narrowly focused? Is it all 'high-concept'? Are they realistic about the customer base? Do they have enough diversity and variety to appeal to all the citizens of Bend, or just the 'upper crust?' Are they competing head to head with the chainstores? If not, do they have a niche product that can actually support them? (Niche being something that Target doesn't carry because they calculate there's no money in it.)

6.) Is the owner working the majority of the hours, or have they hired managers and too many employees?

7.) Do they open weird hours and close weird hours?

8.) Location, location, location? Are they a 'drive up' business that opened in downtown Bend, (a 'walk-by' zone) or a 'walk-by' business that opened on Greenwood (a 'drive up zone? Are they a destination store that could get just as many customers in a lower rent area and the only reason they're downtown is because it's 'cool?'

9.) Are they treating it like they know it's a business, or does it seem like a plaything or a hobby? Is it a dream, or a business? Do they have other options? (Like going into a marriage with the thought you can always get a divorce?) Do they give an indication that they understand that it will be hard work?

10.) Is the space they rented too big? Too small? (It's almost always the former, not the latter.)
Did they pay too much? Unfortunately, almost anyone who has opened a business in downtown Bend or the Old Mill is paying too much, currently, and it's beginning to infect places like 3rd Street.

11.) Do they seem to think that advertising and discounting is the answer? Do they talk about 'service' as if it's a magic mantra that will protect them from all harm? Have they built into their business plan so many free services and guerrilla marketing that they face burn-out down the road?

12.) Are they opening the same damn business that five other people are opening within a block or two? Do they think they are so inspired that -- even though plenty of other people are doing the same, they'll be the one's to succeed?

13.) Are they aware that -- it doesn't matter how charming they are, how hard working, how knowledgeable, how great their fixtures, their locations, their merchandise -- that it's day to day sales that count. Money over the counter. And that ain't easy. Do they have realistic expectations of income? I've always thought waiting years for a profit is nuts. So is expecting to take out a lot of money, even over the long run. You've bought a job, probably a job that pays way less than the job you left. Have you invested too much for a 12.00 an hour job to ever get it back? Will you be satisfied making less? If you are planning to get rich, opening a small business in downtown Bend probably isn't the way to go about it.

There are more factors, of course, but those are 13 off the top of my head.

I've heard all the statistics about business failures, the 2 year, the 5 year. And for Bend, I think it's all Bunk. I think the 'survival' rate is much higher in the short run that most of the statistics, but much lower over the longer run. I think Bend businesses almost always last 2 years and very often last 5 years. But I'll give credit to anyone who last 10 years or longer.

10 comments:

IHateToBurstYourBubble said...

I cringed when Paul-doh cheered the demise of the Shire -- bad karma, man.

I cheer the demise of an idea like The Shire in Bend... not Ireland, or some other "appropriate" place. It's really a proxy for the unwinding of horrible ideas spawned of The Bubble. I don't really hope or wish ill on anyone. But there are definitely some people around here who NEED to see failures of silly ideas to somehow convince them that all is not green pastures in Cent OR RE. Redmond Waterpark owners, for one. I mean, how many serial failures of downtown art galleries has to occur to convince the next sucker, "You know, this might not be a good idea."

How about the karma of having 13 POINTS IN A BUST-O-METER! THAT'S bad karma!

Duncan McGeary said...

Yeah. But I didn't hex anyone in particular....

Duncan McGeary said...

Why do I care? Why does it matter to me? Don't these people have a right to start a business and isn't pre-judging them unfair?

Absolutely.

I suspect when I started downtown Bend that none of the other business owners thought I was a 'real' business. The irony being, I'm still here, and they're all gone.

I care because I live in a world where everyday business matters. I make my living off this. If I lose my business, I go work for Walmart.
So I would prefer to be surrounded by 'real' businesses.

For example, a guy who opens a store because it's a dream, for the fun of it, isn't going to have the same attitude toward street closures as someone to whom every day's sales matter.

So these new businesses are great looking. And they are leaving beautiful corpses. Someday, when real businesses have settled back into downtown Bend, they'll be in much nicer surroundings.

I am benefiting for all this nonsense. The tourist traffic is great.

But I know the downside could be empty buildings, and the whiff of failure that is possible if it all collapses overnight.

I don't think it will. I think the vanity businesses will either turn into real businesses or be replaced by real businesses. I think enough of the downtown landlords will understand the dangers enough to moderate the rent increases.

I hope.

Carl said...

Add the market supposedly set to open in NWX to your list that meets most of your criteria.

That thing has sat there for mucho months with butcher paper across the windows and burning rent like crazy, I suspect.

And the owners have bragged that they never have owned a market before.The whole area is like a morgue on Sundays.

Anonymous said...

The whole area is like a morgue on Sundays.


*

"Hollern-Ville's" they'll be every where in Bend.

Ol boss hogg Hollern of Brooks Resources, his vision of ghost towns and seedy crap-shacks will be the icon of Bend in the future.

Duncan McGeary said...

I'm just constantly flabbergasted by what I read in the paper.

A woman and husband, (a loan officer of a husband, at that), move to town and less than a year later open a new business (Chatterbean) on 'mother's intuition.' Yes, they mentioned 'mother's intuition' twice.

So they've been in business less than a year and they're trying to sell franchises.

Shouldn't there be proof of success? Proof that the idea is sound? Maybe a few years under their belt? Why would anyone pay for an unproven idea?

Just plain weird.

Duncan McGeary said...

Meanwhile, Yarrow has built one house? One?

Oh, my god, it's even worse than I thought. And to think they've got four of those monstrous subdivisions (i.e. 'destination resorts') planned for Crook County.

Not the mention the huge subdivisions already in the works in Bend, and the remaking of Broken Top.

Meanwhile, condo's that now appear to have never really been sold at all. Downtown locations are starting to last a little longer, I noticed. Time was, a lease sign would only be up a week or so.

And it all seems so obvious to me. Has seemed obvious for a couple of years. Why can't the developers see it?

Duncan McGeary said...

Hey, you don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.

Bend Economy Man said...

Something makes me think that in some of those comments you had the Riley Market or whatever it's called in mind.

I also saw that story today about the Chatterbean and was a bit surprised that they're still PERSONALLY making the lattes and yet are already looking to franchise.

It reminds me of a story in The Bulletin a few weeks ago about the surfeit of "dinner preparation" franchises in Bend. One franchise owner, a guy who "pulled the rip-cord" from his high-paying job in the Silicon Valley and moved to Bend. He was talking about how he wanted to open 40 of these franchises across the region in the next few years.

Sounds exhausting. However skeptical we bloggers may be about The Shire, the NWX convenience store, Chatterbean, dinner assembly franchises (I went on the website of a couple of these and I have to say I still don't understand how there's enough of a demographic ANYWHERE to support these things), what have you... a massive amount of thought and work is going into them.

I mean, The Shire - hundreds of man-hours of very smart people were put into figuring out how to put a fake thatched roof on a McMansion and how to turn steel corrugated pipe into a hobbit-hole. And, well, even without the benefit of hindsight it was really hard then, and it's really hard now, to see how they thought this idea was going to make them a bunch of money. I suppose they had fun and learned something, but I can't help but suspect someone was left holding the financial bag.

I can't tell whether these out-of-the-box concepts are converging here because it's a hotbed of crazy dreamers, or people get here and figure they have to do something to make a living, or a combo of both.

I would understand it more if Bend were a place where there was a track record of success of new-concept businesses. I'm not sure it is though. As far as I can tell the wealthiest people in town either made their money somewhere else or they're land barons and developers like the Wards or Coatses or Millers or Hollerns. Then there's some well-off doctors and lawyers and other professionals below them. I can't think of anyone who's met a bunch of financial success in Bend with an original business idea, maybe with the exception of Deschutes Brewery.

Duncan McGeary said...

Northwest Crossing must be waiting for the first snowfall to open....

I've always thought hare-brained ideas are everywhere, not just Bend.

Drove around today.

Cascade Village: 43 spaces, 10 of which are megacorp Best Buy type, of the 33 spaces left, 13 are vacant.

Northwest crossing. Still pretty quiet.

3rd Street. All kinds of planned strip malls, but none of them seem to be actually being built.

Downtown. Feels pretty good, actually. But there are vacancies.

I'm going to be really curious to see if the commercial situation gets bad after or before the housing....