Saturday, September 22, 2007

Was in the Bookmark when a woman introduced herself as owning a used bookstore. She had many of the same ideas as us (except not carrying much hardcover -- she took away the thought of selling them for 1/3rd instead of 1/2 -- which is funny, because usually I'm the guy who says don't go lower, but hdc's are a bit different.) I mentioned my blog entry about my packed store and she said something like, "Oh, I don't want to go there!"

So, for everyone who read yesterday's blog -- it isn't THAT bad! I was exaggerating for a bit of effect, you know. Yes, it's packed, but still worth visiting!

That's the hardest thing to break through -- preconceptions. I know I have them too. Usually after going on and on about how most bookstores are too picky in accepting books and extending credit (the point, I say, is to gain customers, the book transaction is secondary), or that they don't carry enough hardcover or non-fiction, etc. I'll usually have a bookstore owner advise me to sell online, or carry first editions, and because of MY preconceptions, I don't entertain the notion for long. In other words, we all have preconceptions. We all do what we're comfortable doing, or have the time and energy or space or interest or money to do.

(By the way, the answer as to why a business doesn't do something is always............. , time, energy, space, interest or money.....)

When I talked about the explosive growth of Bend, she threw out the usual "It's happening where we come from, too!" And again, I try to tell them about Bend doubling size, and then doubling again, and the median prices and so on....

I'm sort of glad to see the "Don't Worry, Be Happy!' folk show up on the bubble boards. Without them, I'd still think we hadn't even begun the process of recovery. It's interesting to see the obtuseness of their minds, and how few of them can really express themselves without using platitudes.

I'm not wishing for a downturn. I have mostly benefited from the bubble, up to now. But I also know how hard bubble bursts are on the unwary. It seems prudent to point out the emperor had no clothes, because, you know, maybe he'll buy himself a parka.

I had falling sales from 1995 to 1997 in every category; Sports cards had plummeted in the early 90's, magic and comics in the mid-90's, and so on. There was nothing I could do. The hard part was being unable to predict future sales. I can handle downturns -- I've even made money on downturns -- but I have to be able to make accurate orders and estimate accurate overhead.

Clinging to false hopes is the worst thing anyone can do.

I was telling Chuck Arnold of the Downtowners that I thought the economy of Bend had rebooted. The last 3 years were an illusion. We're back to early 2004.

But I think we'll be lucky if it just reboots, no harm done. I'm still hoping, but keeping an eye out.

No comments: