Sunday, September 9, 2007

One of my sons and his wife was home for the weekend, along with his wife's sister and her significant other. The sister and 'other' were actually interested in comics, so we took a jaunt downtown.

"Shall we park in the garage?"

"Why?" I say. "It's Sunday, there'll be parking everywhere."

We found parking, but barely.

Downtown was packed, every street. People all over the place.

And yet, the Bookbarn was closed. Pave' Jewelers was closed, Designer's was closed.

At the end of the day, my store did twice the total I had on Saturday, with half the hours.

It doesn't happen like that every Sunday, but I almost always get close to my hourly average. I just can't understand why any business that has employees wouldn't open, because the wages would be paid for in almost the exact same proportion as a normal day. That is, if you can afford to be open Monday through Saturday, you can afford to be open Sunday.

Shrug. It's their funeral.

No comments: