Saturday, December 22, 2012

Oh, that's just great.

I was formatting NEARLY HUMAN yesterday, and couldn't help but read it, too.

It's not ready.

It's just not. 

I went to bed last night thinking, over and over again -- how can I make it better?  What is it missing?

And the answer came to me, and it was a change in major character again.

So I think I still have a basic plot.  The world building has been done.  I have the characters I need.

I just need to change the entire motivation and emotional nature of the lead character.  That's all.  Just requires and entire re-writing of the whole book, that's all.

I don't think this scares me the way it used to.  In the last six months I've learned that I can write a lot if I let myself go.  I can do this.

Question is, is the book worth saving?  I feel the answer is YES.  At least I think so.  I guess I'll find out when I restart.

Some of the chapters I have to restart from bloody scratch.  I have more than enough words that I can jettison anything that doesn't fit and can't be changed. 

I'm positive now that I simply can't afford the luxury of discovering the entire plot as I'm writing, much as I like doing it that way -- or expect to have to do a whole lot of changes.  Maybe it's all been good.  A re-introduction to the process of writing.  I started off with the wrong tone -- the wrong tack, and discovered I needed to go back to the way I used to approach books.

I think I can make all the changes in a month or two.

But it's going to be at least TWO YEARS  for one book.  I took enough breaks to write the first drafts of two other novels, so there's that.  But still, I never expected it to take so long.

No comments: