Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Pushing thru without "inspiration."

As I mentioned yesterday, I decided I needed to push through the writing on Gargoyle Dreams and not wait for "inspiration."

I did do an outline using index sized sticky notes spread out on my table, and it was very helpful in visualizing the storyline.  What ended up being necessary was completely throwing out a crux point in the story and replacing it.

It's never easy to throw out writing.  It was story that was true at the time but is no longer true.

But I did it and immediately realized it was the right decision.  So I'll be doing the next chapter the same way.  After that correction, I should be able to write the book to the end.

Meanwhile, I read chapters 6 and 7 of The Manic Pixie Dream Girl Murders at writer's group and they had very few criticisms.  It was good -- I was impressed.  I can forget sometimes that I can be a decent writer.


No comments: