Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Fight the Entropy!

Everything's breaking down. Lawn mower went first. Turns out the batteries give out, especially if you don't use them.  I had a landscaping service last year, since I was in the throes of writing the year before that and let everything go to hell.

I thought it would be an enormous problem to replace the battery so was ready to go out and buy a gas powered one.  At the last moment, I finally figured out how to replace the battery, so ordered a new one.  Won't be here until late in the week and meanwhile my lawn is a jungle.

The computer at the store is collapsing everyday, so it's time to get a new one.  But I'm afraid that I'll need my Wifi connection password and try as I might I can't figure out how to do that.  So that has to be resolved.  I need Aaron, but he's got his new "Maker" enterprise going...so he's kinda busy.

Linda went kayaking a couple of years ago, and loved it so she wanted us to both get involved and I said yes so we bought a couple of kayaks and then didn't do anything last year because we got stumped by racks.  (Linda wanted a rack that she could do by herself, and I doubted there was such a thing that wasn't prohibitively expensive -- and besides, I didn't think it was safe for her to go alone.) Finally went to Rack and Roll here in Bend and it turned out to be fairly easy.

We went kayaking at Elk Lake on Sunday, and I have to admit it was pretty fun.  It was a beautiful day so we went about as far from our parking spot as possible and then suddenly a big storm rolled in.  By the time we got back, it was pouring rain and thunder and lightning.  Which made it kinda fun, actually.

I figure kayaking is the perfect duffer sport.  The only difficulty is getting the kayaks on top of Linda's SUV.  The kayaks aren't that heavy but they are awkward.  I just need to find the proper balance point and I think that will be easy.

Meanwhile, I've started another book, Gargoyle Dreams, which I really like.  It's a "Gothic love-story", kind of a Beauty and the Beast storyline and I'm very much enjoying it.  Not sure what the point of writing so much is -- but I do enjoy just doing it, so I guess that's the point.

I'm lazy and like writing first drafts.  I wish I was like Linda and some other writers I know who actually love revising.

Anyway, it just seems like most of my time is being used to just fight the entropy.  Trying to keep things from falling apart.  That's life, I guess.


No comments: