Thursday, April 16, 2015

When re-writing becomes re-doing.

Started the rewrite of Tuskers III and realized I just don't like the first three chapters of one of the story arcs -- Napoleon's.

I tried rearranging and fixing, and it was just a quagmire.

So what I'm going to do is simply rewrite them, plus bring in a fourth chapter.

Easy, right?

heh.

But really, other than those chapters, the rest of the book works and I don't want these three chapters to drag down the other 24 chapters, you know?  So better just to rethink it.

I knew they were a problem as I was writing, but carried on and finished, which I think was the right thing to do.  I'm much more clear about what these chapters need to accomplish now. 

Writing fresh material is easier sometimes than trying to fix old material.



No comments: