Wednesday, April 22, 2015

The Manic Pixie Dream Girl Murders.

I've started a new book -- The Manic Pixie Dream Girl Murders.  (If you don't know what a MPDG is, you should look it up.  :)

I'm thinking that will probably be the sub-title, not the main title, eventually.  It's not really a comedy, or satire, and I think that's kind of what the title promises.

A funny thing has happened.  I've made a discovery.  Any story that I can come up can be turned into a horror story.  Because everything can be covered by a horror archetype.  Any genre form can be used.

Horror is wide open, as far as I'm concerned.  I'm really liking it.

I had the idea for a murderous MPDG first, then realized it fell right into the idea of a Succubus.  So there it is, a story I can really dig into.

The Last Fedora happened in a similar way.  I had the idea for the main character and how he interacts first, then realized that he was a Golem. 

I wrote a quick 2340 words on the new book, without even trying, so apparently the story wants to be written.  They're the second and third chapters, actually.  I saved up the first chapter, which I pretty much have in my head.  Will write that today.

Oh, I love it when I get an idea that wants to be written!

It will be a challenge.  In a MPDG story the dialogue needs to be clever without being too cute, and I've never felt dialogue is one of my strong points.

I think it is going to need some gentle tweaking.




No comments: