Thursday, April 30, 2015

3/5th of the way through Blood of the Succubus.

33K words into Blood of the Succubus: The Manic Pixie Dream Girl Murders.

Will be bringing into the story the Big Bad's sisters, so now they'll be super bad.  Not sure if there is enough material here to get to the end, but we'll see.  Going straight there, though.

The Scooby Doo Gang is all together now.  Next chapter will be the Scooby Doo gang trying to catch the Big Bad.

The chapter after that will be the Big Bads' tricking them, doing Bad stuff somewhere else. (To use Joss Whedon's shortcut terminology.)

So that will take me to somewhere around 37K words.  As long as I keep getting the next 2 chapters in advance, I'm not going to worry about the end.  I have faith it will come to me.

Along with all the sex, I think gender politics will enter by the end.

Listened to most of Tuskers on Audible, (once started, I couldn't stop) and it was surprisingly good, you know.  I'm impressed with myself.  (It's very weird to hear someone else performing something I wrote, like it has a legit separate existence).  Not ambitious stuff, admittedly, but entertaining. That seems to be what I'm writing these days.  I may have to try to be more ambitious someday, though I'm not sure what form that would take. Every time I've had that thought, I've screwed it up.  I'm thinking I shouldn't mess with what's working.

It's now been three weeks since I stopped checking rankings, sales and reviews.  It makes me feel surprisingly isolated, but overall I think that's a good thing.  I've been very productive, so it's hard to argue with results.  The one danger is that somewhere down the road I'll be blindsided by bad news.  That is, I'll finally look and it will be a disaster.  (Could be the opposite, I suppose :) Is it better to know bad things little by little, or all at once?  If knowing would help me make changes, I'd say little by little -- but I can't think of any changes it would prompt me to make.  I'm writing the best I can, following my own muse.

Have to work at the store today. Then I get to write the ending of Blood of the Succubus.  I'm excited.  I think it will be fun.


No comments: