Saturday, November 29, 2014

"Self-consciousness is the end of creativity."

Just saw a documentary on some musicians putting music to the words of lost Basement Tape lyrics of Bob Dylan.  T. Bone Burnett is the man behind the gathering, and at one point -- as one of the musicians is struggling with the pressure -- he says, "Self-consciousness is the end of creativity."

That's it exactly.  I was never freer with my writing as when I was spending a year without any regard to anyone else reading.  Even after I started sending material out to publishers, I felt pretty free because nothing much was happening, and I didn't expect anything to happen.

Somehow, though, just recently, I've started putting harder expectations from myself.

So today I woke up and decided, I'd just keep a light touch.

A nice light touch.

No comments: