Thursday, September 5, 2013

Writing in a vacuum.

I'm trying to decide what book I want to work on next.

I think it is going to be Faerylander.  Which will be a real experiment.  I've already written a complete book, so the question will be -- how far is the new book going to stray from the original book?

I more or less already have the premise and the characters and even most of the plot, I just want to try a fresh approach.

I've also been working off and on with Led to the Slaughter.  I've added about 4000 words of historical detail.  I'm almost done there, maybe a few more additions.  I'm trying to set up a system where I don't look at a manuscript for a month or two after I finish, and only then come back and give it a rewrite.

I rearranged the beginning 30 pages of the Led to the Slaughter, based on someone's suggestion -- same content but moving the chapters around.   I can see how in theory the new arrangement works, but I still like the original version.

I've got enough finished material to feed the publishing pipeline, so I can afford to be patient and try to gain some perspective.



I've been distracted over the last month or two with the reality of trying to get my creative efforts out there where people can actually read them. -- I want to get back to writing without any concern about publishing.  I can write on my own, but publishing requires the help of others -- along with their convenient timelines, not mine.

I spent probably ten months of the last year doing nothing but writing, and I was very productive, and I kind of want to get back to that mode, even if it is writing in a vacuum.


No comments: