Monday, September 16, 2013

Having my doubts.

For a number of reasons, I'm having my doubts.

But I keep on writing.

I've had doubts about this new effort from the beginning.  But here's the thing.  I am such a fast writer -- at least of first drafts -- that it makes more sense to continue writing something I have doubts about than to sit around and agonize and worry about writing something else.

If I consider everything I write to be practice, then writing is never wrong. 

And I do seem to be picking up techniques and habits which are helping the next effort. 

Basically I could sit around and wait for the perfect idea, and then set about trying to write it perfectly.

Or I can just write and write and write and out of that huge mass of words something good will happen.

The latter is more fun, and less intimidating, and I think for me the right route to take.

I keep trying to remind myself that I've only been doing this for about 2 years, and only the last year have I been really productive.  Everything could be considered practice in a way -- though I'm also trying to write things that are worth reading.

As long as I see an improved curve of learning -- both good habits and good writing, then this is worth continuing.

No comments: