Friday, September 27, 2013

Grumpy Old Man Syndrome versus Cool Old Guy.

Interesting article in the Bulletin about "grumpy old man syndrome."

I probably spent the first half of my fifties feeling that way.

Then I gave it up.

I gave up trying to control the behavior of my customers.  I transitioned from being a front man at the counter to letting the younger guys do most of that.  Which gave me enough time away to start getting more of a sense of proportion.  I got more financially secure, which was a pretty big deal.  I took on writing as a hobby, which gave me something else to focus on.  I don't drink hardly at all, as drinking tends to make me not sleep as well and makes me irritable.  I find myself being irritable much less often, and angry hardly at all.

It really helps, I think, to be around young people all the time.  While I bemoan the fact that they don't seem to read, I also remember that most people have never read.  Meanwhile though, most of how I feel is summed up in the phrase:  "The Kids Are All Right."  I mean, they really are.  They really haven't changed all that much over the last 30 years, frankly.

I think working at the store, even if less often, is good for me.  I shrug at competition now -- I'd much rather cooperate with them.  I don't go after after every opportunity or fight for every dime.  I set policies I feel are correct and then stick to them.

Physically, I kind of quit dieting all the time, which is what I had to do to stay at what I considered the proper weight.  Thing is, I don't look any different at 15 pounds heavier.  I look almost the same.  Sure, I could wish my beard and hair were less white, but oh well.

The financial security is the biggest thing.  I feel like I can relax slightly and things won't fall apart.

I announced about six months ago on Facebook that I wasn't going to be "grumpy old man" anymore.  I was going to be "cool old guy."   I don't mean life of the party, I mean secure in myself enough to be nice to others.

It's a worthy goal.

1 comment:

Jack said...

"I announced about six months ago on Facebook that I wasn't going to be "grumpy old man" anymore. I was going to be 'cool old guy.' I don't mean life of the party, I mean secure in myself enough to be nice to others.

"It's a worthy goal."

Goddamn right. Attain it.