Monday, September 23, 2013

Poverty with a View et al.

Income statistics not looking too good for Central Oregon, according the the front page article in the Bulletin this morning.

Average household earned $5088 less in 2012 than they did in 2009.

But households earning more than $100,000 stayed the same, so all that loss was below them.

The number of households earning less than $25,000 increased by 33%.  I repeat, by 33%.

Those without health insurance increased by 8.3% while statewide the percentage decreased by 10.4%.

Just read those statistics again.  Take them in.

Pretty awful for Central Oregon especially when compared to the rest of the state.

5 comments:

Duncan McGeary said...

Makes me think just holding my own at the store is a pretty big achievement.

Duncan McGeary said...

I remember looking at my subscribers in 2008 and realizing how many of them were involved in the housing industry and thinking, "Oh, shit."

Duncan McGeary said...

Also interesting to me was how little the Bulletin made of these stats. In fact, the headline would make you believe that it was all about the health plans, which while bad enough, to me buried the led.

We are scraping by in this town -- with the construction and manufacturing jobs all but gone.

And unlikely to return, in my opinion.

Anonymous said...

I look at how "low" the lows are now, and think back to those heady times when some were raking it in hand over fist. And acting like fools, I might add. Karma???

The single best bit of financial advise that I ever got (and from the smartest man and best investor that I ever met), was simple... "Save your money."

Bend Economy Man said...

What it means is that less and less are the town-promoters able to package Bend and C.O. as an "upscale" area, or even as an "up-and-coming" area. These stats confirm what we've seen with our eyes for the past few years: people around here are getting poorer.