Monday, February 11, 2013

Writing "stage business."

I was talking about "stage business" yesterday.  I don't know what writer's call it.  But I'm referring to those little actions that the characters take when talking to each other.  "He stared at her."  "He could tell she wasn't listening."  "She ran her hands through her hair."  "He turned and slammed down the book."

That kind of thing.  Otherwise, you get "voices in the void" as Dwight Newton called it, the first time I turned a chapter in to him that was all conversation.

I feel like I have a limited repetoire.  A lot of "Gave him a look" type business.

Now, if writing is a craft, this an essential part of the craftiness.  I mean, I think I could actually learn to come up some more stage business.

What I ought to do is set down with Neal Stephenson, my favorite current author, and just take notes.  I haven't read Reamde yet. 

Just steal mercilessly. 

No comments: