Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Stupidest reason to rewrite a problem book?

Stupidest reason to spend months of my life on a problem book?

Because I like the title:  SOMETIMES A DRAGON.

I can't let this title go to waste.

I'm about 20% of the way in, and I'm realizing that I need to jettison about  2/3rds the book -- which makes it no longer a book.

So I have to reinvent the book.  Write entire new sections.

I have some ideas.

When I started thinking about it, I realized that I have three couples in love -- one of which the story is old and sad, one of which is new an exciting, and another somewhere in the middle.

So, my idea is to contrast the three stories and alternate them.  In the original book, the new love predominates, by far.  But much of what I wrote is pretty sappy.  (Hey, I was in love.)  Most of what Linda wrote is, well, even more sappy.  (Hey, she was in love.)  So, I have to tone that down a little for public consumption.

But I like going back to the older romance because it's darker and has more fantasy elements that I like.

So...more or less, I'm writing a whole new book.

But I can do that.

No comments: