Saturday, February 16, 2013

Trying to learn from Stephenson.

Started reading REAMDE by Neal Stephenson, who is my favorite current author.

As I mentioned, I was planning to pay attention to what he's doing and steal mercilessly.

So far, I haven't found anything to steal.  In fact, I don't think I can follow his example unless and until I become as accomplished as he is.

So, for the first 28 pages, it's all internal monologue.  It's not 1st person, but very in depth 3rd person point of view.  It's a family reunion and not much happens really. (Hints and portents that he has an interesting past.)

Then, on page 29, he springs the thing that makes the book different.

He then takes the next 20 pages or so and explained the evolution of a video game.   I don't think it's until about 50 pages in that the ongoing plot seems to take off. 

All of it interesting.  Most of it, I couldn't possibly get away with.  He gets away with it because the reader has faith that it will lead to something.  Sure, he writes interestingly.  He doesn't flash too much -- not like Chabon and some of the other literary types -- but is more straightforward.  Though almost every page has two or three very original turns of phrase.

It's a style I can aspire to -- but probably not a narrative structure I could possibly get away with until I've proven myself.

Just talking about writing makes me want to take off on some wild jaunt again.  I'm restraining myself, forcing myself to take a week or two off.  


No comments: