Friday, February 1, 2013

Writing like a demon.

I'm 27K words into Last Days of an Immortal.

I'm at the point in a book when I know I'm going to finish it.

I have to tell you.  I'm amazed by my own prolific-ness.   Astounded really.

What accounts for it?

I think that once the perceived roadblock of Agent/Publisher was removed, I just let loose.    Apparently there was some pent up desire there...eh?

No more waiting for permission.  No more waiting for answers.  No more waiting for someone else to 'get around to it.'

Even if you assume that so much wordage can't be all that great, it is still a prodigious amount of writing.  We're talking about something like 300 thousand words in two years --not counting this blog!

But actually, I do believe I'm getting better as I go along.  It's getting easier as I figure out my strengths and weaknesses. 

I have a scary amount of energy sometimes.  I think over the years that hangovers or sleeplessness were almost a way of self-medicating, so I didn't overwhelm everyone around me.  I'm sure many of my customers have had the experience of me talking their ears off, propounding my views.

Writing this blog every day for six years amazes some people.  Certainly it isn't a common thing.  But for me, it's just doing my thing.  Hell, I've probably written fewer posts than I could because I didn't want to wear out my welcome.

My brain sometimes just can't switch off.  I focus on one thing mono-maniacally.

So if I turn that to writing, watch out!

I don't know.  Maybe it won't last.

But I'm on my fourth book since coming back to writing, and each successful completion just reinforces the next effort.  At the very least, I'm enjoying myself.

There is still the ultimate test of getting it out there.  That's why I put FREEDY FILKINS on my blog, because I was tired of waiting.  It's my easiest effort so far -- most of the other stuff is more ambitious.  But I liked it, so I stand by it.

I'm sure there is much rejection and ignoring me yet to come.  But until then, I'm writing like a demon.

No comments: