Monday, February 25, 2013

Oscars in the background.

Taped the Oscars and then watched it in about a half an hour, zapped just about everything.  Didn't listen to a single Seth McFarlane joke.  I don't like the guy, don't like his shows, don't get him at all.

So my reaction is:  ARGO?  Really?

In ten years our reaction is going to be:  ARGO?  Really?

Not much else to say.

I mean, I like the movie.  But best of the year?

Love you Michelle, but you seemed out of place.  The marine band behind you watching you adoringly was a little much.



Linda sat down over the last 2 days and read DEVILTREE from beginning to end, making corrections.  Since she is in the midst of her own book, that's pretty amazing.

Meanwhile, I worked all day on SOMETIMES A DRAGON.  I turned 83 pages into 29 pages, and then realized that the easy stuff was done.  I think this 70K word book is about to turn into a 30K book.  Which isn't a book. 

But it might be an rough draft to a book.  Thing is, I like the new 29 pages -- moves fast, the writing is pretty good, it's pretty original.

The problem I'm confronting is, that it almost seems to take longer to completely rewrite a book as it does to write a book in the first  place.

Assuming I'm a better writer now, I really need to get away from the old books and move on.

But -- there they are, almost ready, and it's hard to let go of them.  My attitude has certainly changed -- since I'm the gatekeeper, and once these are out they are mine forever -- I'm hesitating, as long as I think they can be improved.

As a result, they are starting to pile up, all in various stages of improvement.  It hasn't gotten crazy yet -- I mean, I've only been super serious about this for the last six months of so -- the year and half before that I only thought I was serious...

I'm going to see what I can do with S.A.D. over the next couple days, and if I make progress, then I'll try to continue.

As of now, the only book I'd really feel comfortable putting out there is DEATH OF AN IMMORTAL.  For which, I have no cover.

No comments: