Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Why Write?

Why write, if not for money or ego?

I've been asking myself this question a lot lately. 

For me, writing a book is strangely like reading a book.  I'm discovering the story just as a reader would.  It's a slow-motion read, if you will.  Obviously, it's the kind of book I'd like to read. 

I've always had trouble reading books at the same time I'm writing them.  My comics and book consumption have dwindled to a trickle in the last six months, as my writing has accelerated.

Reading and writing occupy the same place in my brain, somehow.

I feel a rush when something inspirational comes along.  A creative euphoria.  That counts for a lot.
There is some part of my being that is being explored, utilized, that I think is healthy for my overall mood, my approach to life.

Writing takes myself out of myself, which for me is a good thing.  It turns my obsessions and compulsions in a healthy direction. 

Writing has produced all kinds of unintended consequences.  I know people through writing I wouldn't know otherwise. 

I met Linda at a writer's group 29 years ago, and we're still on the same wavelength when it comes to writing.  It is something we have in common, that we can share and help each other with. 

I also ended up at Pegasus Books because of writing.  It gave me the confidence to go in, to talk writing with Mike, and gave me credibility in his eyes.

I started writing the blog because, well, I just wanted to express myself.  I love playing with words and phrases, love seeing what comes out on the screen.  But I've also 'met' a lot of interesting people through my blog.

And there is the not inconsiderable sense of accomplishment when I finish a book. 


Now -- about that money and ego. 

I'm at a point in my life where neither are as important as they used to be.  I can write without them.

But, and this is important, I do need at least the smallest possibility that someone somewhere someday will read my efforts.  Just the chance.  Which the internet provides.

When I quit writing 30 years ago, it was because I needed use my time and energy to make a living.  The way I was writing was difficult with the old technologies.  I felt stymied by the publishing industry.  Not just that they wouldn't publish everything I wrote, but because it was such a slow painful and seemingly arbitrary process. 

But mostly I stopped writing because my manuscripts were ending up in a cedar chest.  Lonely and forgotten.  I couldn't stand that.


So, yes, there are plenty of reasons to write besides money and ego.

But at the same time, I need to know that the books won't just end up in a landfill someday.

No comments: