Saturday, February 23, 2013

Working less and enjoying it more.

Working less days at the store has had some unexpected bonuses.

I knew that my attitude would probably improve, and it did.  It's as if there is a level of aggravation that builds through the hours until it overflows.  Working less hours means that it never builds to that level.  I'm basically cheerful and unconcerned during my days at work.

My employees are doing a good job.  They sell different stuff than I do.  They have their own enthusiasms and it shows.  They aren't as tempted -- aren't tempted at all -- to give away stupid extra discounts like I do.

I'm seeing new customers in comics and they are trending younger, which I'd almost given up on.  All three employees read super-hero comics more than I do -- read comics more than I do -- and can talk the talk better than I do.  So that's been great.

 They are also much more knowledgeable about games and card games. 

I even have more sports card collectors than ever before.  I had a mother ask me, "Are sports cards coming back?"  And I answered,  "I don't know.  But I think my attitude is much better toward them."
And it true.  Part of it is that there is a general awareness that there is a true difference in the product I sell and the product the mass market sells.  But part of it too, is I'm not there all the time to express my skepticism.  Which means, when I am there, I'm also expressing less skepticism.

All in all, my not being there every hour and seven days a week,  which obviously doesn't save on wages, has been more than compensated by having these cheerful guys doing their thing instead.  I still need to work -- if nothing else to figure out what's going on.  But instead of feeling guilty about taking time off,  I'm beginning to believe it's one of the smartest things I've ever done.

No comments: