Monday, February 11, 2013

Creating content will pull me through.

I vowed to finish off the book last night.  I couldn't quite pull it off.  Still have the climactic two scenes left to write -- about one chapter.

I wrote a bunch of words yesterday, so it wasn't through lack of trying.  It just turned out the story had farther to go that I expected.

 So it appears I have one more day of writing.

It doesn't seem like I'm putting down that many words, but that's because I'm not doing anything else.  Writing or thinking about writing.  That's it.   If I'm not reading and not working and not watching the T.V. and Linda isn't home, there is a lot of time to use. 

I think I had the book exactly the way I wanted it for the first 2/3rds, then I started accepting some less than perfect scenes, in order to finish the book.

The chapters from the day before yesterday are mostly conversation.  It was mostly getting the actors to their mark and having them speak their words, with no set design and costumes.  It's more important to get that dialogue and those characters where they need to be, then to worry about a bit of stage business.  Stage business is the easiest thing to go back and put in.

The old, "voices in the void" problem.  But my new way of writing is to get it "right" as I go along, if possible, but make sure that the entire story gets put down while it's still fresh.  So those two goals don't always match.

I have lots of promotion left to do.  William recommended getting a page on Goodreads for instance.  But I haven't wanted to get ahead of myself.  I have to have the material finished to promote.  So that comes first.

I set up a Duncan McGeary page, but I've neglected it for facebook and my blog.  If I'm going to set up sites, I need to be active on them.

Like I said, content comes first.  Content is what is going to pull me through.

No comments: