Saturday, February 7, 2009

Back to the Future city council.

Don't know what to make of the Oran Teater appointment to the city council.

I have no inside knowledge, only what I read in the paper.

Certainly smacks of a certain pragmatism, but also of the 'old boy network.'

I personally think it might have been a good thing to have a local election, and really have a full discussion about the future of Bend. Without the distraction of that guy....what's his name, Obama?...on the ballot.

13k doesn't seem like that much money to get a true sounding on the local sentiments. Then again, the situation is so murky and the motivations so convoluted, that a true sounding was unlikely.

Both Teater and Eckman were players in the elements that led up to the boom.

But you get the sense that the 'old boy network' was a little horrified by what happened over the last few years.

I think they'll try to keep Juniper Ridge alive, without bankrupting the town, cut BAT without losing the 'grant' money, and otherwise be a bit more prudent with spending projects. And I think they'll be accommodating to the real estate interests, without being too obvious about it.

I'm not sure it will matter. I think it likely that the revenues streams will shrink to such an extent that either BAT or Juniper Ridge will have to go; or at the least, be put into mothballs.

I wish them luck.

No comments: