Tuesday, July 24, 2007

I held my breath when the Source published parts of my blog. I thought the comments were taken out of context (I know, isn't that what everyone says?) and even to some extent misrepresented (implying that I was against the "Twilight Criterion" when I pretty clearly pointed to the 1:00 street closure.)

So even though I said those words, it always sounds so much worse when someone else quotes them.

From the reaction on the Source web site, I didn't come off too bad. But I don't know if they will publish any of those comments. So, I guess I'll find out this Wednesday...


Meanwhile, I can almost feel the euphoria of the last few years start to fade a little in the downtown business community. I haven't really talked to anyone, and they wouldn't tell me if I did. So this is just a feeling on my part. But I think there is an awareness that there might be a reckoning. I'm hearing and reading of many more postponements, and layoffs.

The Scwhab Theater series is losing out-of-towners -- they attribute it to the 'age' of the acts, but could it be that the newness is wearing off? Same thing with some of the restaurants downtown. I've avoided saying things about the Deep; but I really have to wonder where this leaves Mirenda in the scheme of things. I certainly don't see the crowds there I used to see. In fact, while downtown has been fairly busy with people, I just haven't got the sense that as much business is being transacted.
The garage isn't packed every night when I go home. In fact, sometimes it's half empty.

I thought it interesting that the Bend Visitor and Convention Bureau chose to save funds for the "offseason" instead of giving it to two established events, the Cascade Festival and BendFilm. That's what I'm talkin' about!

I've mentioned before that I don't think that the rich rich spend spend in downtown Bend, except incidentally. That we've seen such a huge surge over the last five years, that even the spillover of money was enough to give the illusion that 'high end" stores could do well. But when a surge fades, the first thing that disappears is the spillover.

I've always felt it was safer to target the longterm residents of Bend as your main customers -- which, I believe, is the exact opposite of what most everyone downtown is doing. Indeed, they seem sort of dismissive of the less than well-off crowd. I don't mind taking tourist and newcomer money, but it's more than a little unpredictable. Should I base my business on a group of people who constantly say, "I didn't know you where here?" Even when they've been in Bend for 3, 5, or even 7 years? (Hey, there's this wonderful invention called the Yellow Pages, and this newfangled thing called Google! We're in there!)

I just have my doubts about people who seem to show so little interest in their surroundings? I had a guy in the other day -- nice guy, but he didn't know ANYTHING about Bend. I went down the scale of landmarks, until I got to Pilot Butte -- which he didn't know.

That isn't as unusual as it sounds. I sort of felt the same way about Eugene when I was there for school. I didn't care, because I knew I was leaving....

Makes me wonder if all these new "residents" are going to stick it out if things get tough. Or will they pack up and move to the next paradise. (They paved paradise and put up a parking lot...oh,la,la...)

3 comments:

IHateToBurstYourBubble said...

Should I base my business on a group of people who constantly say, "I didn't know you where here?" Even when they've been in Bend for 3, 5, or even 7 years? (Hey, there's this wonderful invention called the Yellow Pages, and this newfangled thing called Google! We're in there!)

Sorry to throw in my 2 cents again... but I think this blog is indicative of what really works. Of course, you show up on Google searches if the person is looking for Bend OR local search of EXACTLY what you have.

I think this blog is the first step towards what would really work. An e-commerce site should be a business requirement for any downtown Bend business (non-restaurant) if only because it can act as a hedge for completely going out of business if the landlord goes berzerk on lease re-up day.

And Pegasus would be the perfect candidate... long-tail, niche products. I mean it's probably one of the best candidate business for going online in this town.

And it's one of those ridiculously lo-cost "try it out" things. If it failed miserably, you'd be out a few hundred bucks & some time. Can that be said about P2?

Again, this is my overly conservative, zero knowledge about the product self talking. But if I were you, well, I'd have done it long ago, just because it's up my alley. But I keep hoping you'll give this idea a shot, cuz I think it'd be such a boon.

Look at zencart.com, or some other free cart. Even Yahoo shopping. These things can be tried out for next to nothing. Put a link on this blog, and talk about it.

I think if you mix what is obviously your own personal interest in the product with the ability to buy it right there... dang, it sells itself.

And it is a darn near free hedge against spiraling costs downtown. You've got 2.5 years to go... I would be hedging like crazy.

I mean, look at the attention this blog is getting you. This thing is just a golden marketing platform cuz you've done it right. Man, if I were you that weekly order sheet would go right on page 1 of an online shopping cart like clockwork.

Again... disregard the above.

IHateToBurstYourBubble said...

I think GreatOutdoors.com is a great model: A site that talks about the activities that sell the (Altrec.com) product. Some sort of user forum, buyer ratings... man, it'd just be gold. And just so dirt cheap to try....

Little Things said...

How in the world can someone live in Bend and not know what Pilot Butte is? Are people really that oblivious?