Saturday, April 14, 2007

"If you're so smart, how come you ain't rich?"

Good guestion. Obviously, I ain't so smart. (Or a ruthless enough bastard.)

But I often want to turn that question around.

"If you're so rich, how come you're so dumb? (You're still a ruthless bastard.)

The recent letter from the new developer of Broken Top seems so counter-productive and mean spirited, that I have to wonder if it was meant to be that way. Even more of an affront, it was poorly written. Really, most high school sophomores could write a better letter.

Meanwhile, in the business section of the today's Bulletin, there is an article about Charles B. Wang, founder and former chairman of Computer Assciates. (And owner of the New York Islanders.)

"Fraud pervade the entire CA organization at every level, and was embedded in CA's culture, as instilled by Mr. Wang, almost from the company's inception."

He created a climate of fear.

Mr. Wang...."Deliberately put inexperienced executives in senior positions so he would have more control." ...."He discouraged executives from meeting with each other and arbitrarily fired managers or employees who disagreed with him."

There was a time, when I went through what I call my 'young entrepreneur' phase, when I read Inc. Magazine, and business books, before I realized that they existed to sell more magazines and books, not to give good advice. In fact, most of the advice was horrible, and almost all of it meant for bigger organizations than I ever intended to become. Very few good books have been written that are appropriate for the Mom and Pop sized business. (I can only think of one that I thought was sensible: GROWING A BUSINESS, by Paul Hawken.)

I kept hearing about Jack Welch, the CEO of General Electric, and the most admired businessman in America. So I stayed up late to watch him on Charlie Rose.

I have never before or since, so wanted to reach through the screen and strangle someone. What an enormous, gigantic prick. If that slimey creature is the most admired businessman in America -- God help us all.

Behind every great fortune there is a crime. I sure there must be a rich person who got there strictly through talent and hard work, who got there ethically and with respect toward his fellow man.

At least, I hope so.

2 comments:

Flicka said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jason said...

"Really, most high school sophomores could write a better letter."

I don't know that I'd even go that far. I know of way too many high schoolers who got pushed through ... who could barely read. And I know of at least one who couldn't read at all.

I was going to ask you something, but my boss is upstairs in his apartment listening to ganster rap, and it's making my headache worse. I'm not sure exactly what I'm going to tell the guests when they come here to check in ... "Oh, that? That's just the manager, throwing a one-man party. He's hardcore. But he really is very responsible!" At least the rooms next to his place aren't being used at the moment.

I'll be back.