Sunday, July 31, 2011

A finicky writer.

I wrote not one, but two chapters yesterday.

I've reached the point in the book where ideas are coming fast and furious.

As I've mentioned before, it is around the 50 page mark that I start to get a glimpse of the basic structure of the novel. At this point, I can start to diagram a plot line without it stopping me dead in my tracks. I may or may not even stick to the basic plot line; it doesn't matter. It just matters that I have something to work toward.

I'm amazed that many of the plot elements in the early chapters are still applicable. I don't think its so much because my subconscious had it all figured out, but that my subconscious is adapting to, and arranging the story so it fits. There have been 4 or 5 major plot elements that were included in the earlier chapters that took on significance later in the story.

The sixth chapter is kind of wordy and explanatory. What plot developments there are are character relationships and explanation of the mythos.

The seventh chapter is almost completely flashback, and a bit heavy. I figure by the seventh chapter, I can get away with it.

The story has gotten this far, so I think it has legs. I've got the basic ideas for the next two chapters.

Meanwhile, the 7th chapter catches me back up to my every two week pace. I'd been thinking that this pace was kind of slow, you know? But then I remember that the current formatting for my story is single spaced, and when I used to write books on my typewriter, it was double spaced.

Which explains why it all the threads came together around page 30. Because page 30 translates into page 60, in the old days. It's the tipping point, if you will; the threads have come together, and you can see if you actually have a story worth pursuing or not.

I'm excited that this is my first book with a more or less "high concept"; or an idea that can be explained in a few sentences. I didn't set out to do that, but that's what has emerged. The best I could do with my earlier books was describe them as "quest fantasy" or "heroic fantasy."

So far, at least, none of the later chapters have been a deal breaker; that is, none of them have necessitated going back and completely rearranging and rewriting the earlier chapters.

I have to honest with myself and admit: I really don't like re-writing. I enjoy discovering the story; finding connections. I don't mind smoothing over the language, fleshing out the characters and scenery and plot.

What I don't like is having to completely reorganize the book. It feels like a puzzle to me, and if I take out a significant section of the puzzle, it's extremely difficult to put back together again.

I say I don't like rewriting, but at the same time I'm very capable of becoming obsessive/compulsive about it.

When I started this project, I knew that half the battle would be my writing habits. I'm not worried about being able to write a book -- I've done it seven times before. But I am worried about pacing myself in such a way that I keep the inspiration up, and still have energy at the end to rewrite and improve.

I have to admit: I've missed this. The thrill of the first draft.

But I can also see why I wasn't able to follow through until now. I needed a minimum of time off -- not sure what that minimum is, but apparently I've crossed it. I had a friend visit yesterday while I was in the middle of writing, and it took the rest of the afternoon to recapture the fictional dream I was in.

The full days at the store mean zero writing on those days, or the day after really.

I guess I'm just a finicky writer.

No comments: