Friday, July 22, 2011

insufficiently worried.

I remain insufficiently worried about the digital thing. I don't care about the digital thing.

Really.

How boring. I liked what one author said. If the only book you have on a table is a Kindle, you are a "bloodless nerd."

Anyway, the news keeps a'comin'. Marvel is going to do "day and date" on their comics, too. Which was inevitable.

Meanwhile, book sales haven't actually dropped, you know. They're admittedly flat, but nationally, books are selling at about the same level as last year.

Borders? Borders made huge mistakes that have little to do with books. They expanded too fast and took on too much debt and signed too long leases; they handed their online efforts over to Amazon; they didn't come up with an e-reader option until too late; they dove into CD's and DVD's just as they were collapsing; and so on.

I wonder if anyone but a local bookseller realizes how many people confuse Barnes and Noble and Borders.... I expect people will be showing up at the local B & N looking for liquidation deals.

Meanwhile, I go to the movies and I see previews for John Carter of Mars, and at San Diego Con they are talking about Frazetta movies, and another Sin City, and Heavy Metal, and my geek mode goes into geekasm.

How can what I do become obsolete when it moves ever so ponderously into Taking Over The World!?

So, What? Me Worry? I'll adjust and bring my immensely nerdy knowledge into play and by golly, the mass market doesn't really have a clue until they are told.

Sure, I've mentioned that movies don't really have an effect on comic sales. But they provide cover and legitimacy and bring people into the store. Almost anyone who comes in the store now can find something they can relate to.

A full third of my current sales are in categories I Wasn't Even Carrying a few years ago. All my categories continue to have ups and downs, which I simply have to be aware of and order appropriately.

So -- am I insufficiently worried?

I really don't think so.


Linda's comment: "And you're a worrier..."

"Yeah, I know. Right?"

No comments: