Monday, July 4, 2011

Super 8 - 4th of July.

Linda and I went to see Super 8 yesterday. She didn't know anything about it, (I told her it was Speilbergian), so she was very pleasantly surprised. "I really LIKE this movie!"

When we did the math, the boys in the flick would've been about the same age as our own boys at the time, maybe a bit older. (Just before I entered the picture...) So she got on the phone and called both Todd and Toby and told them to go see the movie.

It was kind of a mix of Goonies and 3rd Encounters and E.T., but perhaps a bit more threatening.

I liked it, too. Found myself laughing a lot by myself at the kid's antics and interplay -- and no one else was laughing and I'm never quite sure if I'm laughing inappropriately. Sort of like laughing at the old lady flying out of the house in Gremlins or Bill Paxton's lines in Aliens -- I mean it's tense and people are dying but it's also funny. Linda says she remembers laughing at lines no one else was laughing at, too. So there you go.

Going to finish up the gardening in the main yards today. Heavy, heavy work, which is why it's happening last. But it's got to be done. And I have a free day.

I still want to do the side of the house, but that is out of sight out of mind and often never gets done. For one thing, I want to do a thorough job so I only have to do upkeep next year.

Linda's brother, Dave, is coming over for hot dogs and fireworks. We can see the show from out back deck, though even in just the 7 years we've been here, the trees have grown enough to obscure some of it, dammit.

We were in Crescent City last year on the 4th, but I told Linda I don't feel safe with all the neighborhood fireworks and with all the dry brush in the 'wild' side of our backyard, so we're sticking close to home from now on.

I think it's a day to relax -- well, digging holes for the boxwood will be hard work -- but it's still relaxing, too, somehow.

Happy 4th.

No comments: