Friday, July 8, 2011

Friday freaks.

Cable guy is here to replace install our new phone line.

By reneging on their internet deal, Qwest lost not only my account at the store, but the account here at home and at Linda' store.

**********

I was pretty stoic yesterday, except that I got into a "these darn kids today..." discussion with a guy, that became less than accepting of what I can't change. It also started to veer into politics, which I opted out of: "I don't want to talk politics."

"That's not fair."

"What's not fair about it? I don't want to talk politics...."

"But I wanted to comment on the health system,"

"Yes, but you were coming at it from a political persuasion....I don't want to talk politics."

************

Apparently, they started putting up the yellow tape on the block of Oregon Ave. last night, which is a full day in advance.

Do these promoters have any idea how daunting the yellow tape is to people? Even though the streets aren't officially closed until 10:00 tonight?

I have to cross my fingers, like I do for every event, that when they set up the stage in front of my store, that they do it in such a way as to allow easy access and visuals to my store, and somehow not encourage people to stand in front of my door.

Of those three goals, they usually allow my door to be opened, but the other two -- the visuals and the crowd control pretty much suck.

Because the promoters pretty much don't care about us. These events aren't about the small businesses....

NOTE: On the way to work, I noticed that they have already set up for tomorrow. So Oregon Ave. gets to have a closed street all day, but no activities. Pretty much the worst of both worlds.

Hey, downtowners. If you don't speak up, they'll just keep encroaching and encroaching.

Just saying.

**********

The solution, of course, is for me to make myself scarce and put my guys in the store. Last week we had a pretty good weekend, and I'm hoping for the best this weekend too.

I ran out of Pokemon cards, yesterday, one of the few items I can sell to the kids at these events. Bad planning for me -- I very rarely completely run out of a viable product...

**********

Watched Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call last night.

Expected it to be a harrowing movie; the descent of a cop into drugs and corruption.

Well, it was all that. Along with a bullmouse looney performance by Nick Cage -- which at the same time was funny and pitch perfect.

His relationship with his girlfriend was kinda sweet, and he obviously had a moral code -- that maybe only he understood.

It was more Hunter S. Thompson as cop, than Requiem for a Dream.

It had a strangely redemptive and uplifting tone, that I couldn't explain if I had to, and I think it's become one of my favorite movies....

7 comments:

H. Bruce Miller said...

Is this "Bad Lieutenant" as good as the original with Harvey Keitel?

Duncan McGeary said...

It's different. Doesn't go where you expect it to go.

I really liked it.

Anonymous said...

'streets of closure'

Orygun has this thing with pitbulls, back east they call them gar's I think.

Basically these events have to have security, and bend has dozens of these private rent-a-cop firms, the thing is they have nobody to fuck with before an event. So what to do? Put up tape, and nobody is going to question a GOON dressed up like a cop.

The GUBMINT mandates that all 'events' have these private-cops, and they got nuttin to do but fuck with the populace. Who you going to call? Ever tried to question these peoples authority? They will through you to the ground, lie in mass and fuck up your life. Take them to court? NADA going to happen.

So the city rents out the city to the event organizers, such as the folks who own Sisters, and own the SORE(source). These rents make good cash income for the city. The taxes go to the county, but the city wants income. The lobbyists in Salem, owned by security firms, mandate that all 'events' have security, ... and there lies the problem, the security is brought in the date before the event.

Rent-a-cops like all cops pretty much sit on their ass and eat donuts, otherwise they hang yellow tape. Welcome to Paradise ( my ass ).

Anonymous said...

They had to start earlier because Summerfest is starting tonight. Last couple of years they haven't opened up until 11 am on Saturdays. Which gave them all night to set up.

Duncan McGeary said...

So much for a "fixed" number of street closures, eh?

But the city council pretty much said the rule was null and void.

H. Bruce Miller said...

"The solution, of course, is for me to make myself scarce and put my guys in the store. Last week we had a pretty good weekend, and I'm hoping for the best this weekend too."

Good idea. I'm thinking maybe your grumpiness over the street closure conveys itself subliminally to the potential customers, who are turned off by it and don't buy.

Duncan McGeary said...

Totally.

Jasper and Matt and Cameron all seem to enjoy the activity and don't take it personally and good for them.

I will probably always try to have someone work on Saturdays and special events.

During the week, the scale tips much more toward regulars and destination customers, and I do fine with them.

And not having to deal with the crunches of weekends and holidays and events, has given me more patience the rest of the week.

It's just the accumulation of 31 years of working the counter -- about a third of them every day of the week -- had made it tougher for awhile.

But, right now, I'm much much better than I was a few years ago, and leagues better than I was a decade ago -- so I went through the worst of it and came out the other side.

Nevertheless, my guys are still way more fresh than I am, and the best face for the store when we gets hordes of tourists in (bless their touristy little hearts).