Thursday, July 28, 2011

Writing through doubt.

There always comes a moment for me in writing a novel when it sort of all comes together. Suddenly, I know what the book is about and where it's going. In rough form, anyway. Usually, it's about 50 pages in, give or take.

I think I may have hit that point in the fifth chapter. Suddenly, the book takes on heft. Which makes it more of a responsibility, somehow. Like it has a life of it's own. I can't explain it.

We were chatting after writer's group last week, and I popped out; "Writing for me is writing through doubt. Yeah, that's it. Writing through doubt."

No one was much listening, but that thought had a real impact on me. Because that's exactly how I have to see it.

I have to keep writing; and as I write, I'll be conflicted and confused and scared and overwhelmed and self-questioning and worried. Which I just have to ignore and keep writing.

Well it be any good? Doesn't matter. Keep writing.

Has it been done before? Doesn't matter. Keep writing.

Will it make any sense? Doesn't matter. Keep writing.

If doubt is going to stop you, you'll stop a thousand times.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Truer words never spoken.

jared said...

I look at this blog, your books, your store along the very same theme. You are "acting through doubt", because you are always second guessing yourself. Yet despite the doubt you still are sticking to it and persevering.

Some people may see this second guessing as a weakness, but I admire that about you. Its the true inner dialogue and that holds a lot of weight. Because as much as the egotists, the sales people, the CEOs want you to think they don't, everyone doubts.

H. Bruce Miller said...

Silencing that nagging voice of the inner editor is one of the toughest things about writing.