Saturday, August 22, 2015

An embarrassment of writings.

Finished up Gargoyle Dreams, hopefully getting it sequentially correct. Will send it off to Lara when she gets Tuskers III back to me.

I really like having that full month of so while Lara is editing to gain some perspective, and then give it a full beginning-to-end rewrite.  That's going to be my new process from now on.

I'm also going to try a little harder to get my books to be 80K minimum, instead of the 60K average they are now.

60K is all right, but 80K would be a more satisfying reading chunk, I think.  I'm pretty sure that I can take any 60K first draft and simply by fleshing it out, add between 10 and 15K words.  So a couple of extra pertinent chapters, and I'm there.

So the embarrassment of riches is having two books pretty much complete, a third book done except for a little polishing, and a fourth book ready to send to the editor.

The only reason I've been holding off with finished books is that I don't want to overwhelm my publishers.  

And I'm writing a sequel to the Golem book, which I'm just working on in the mornings, a thousand words at a time.

So I'm still on a roll, even though I feel way more distracted these days than I did when I started. When I started, I had only one or two manuscripts to think about at a time. I doubt I'll ever get back to that.  Hell, I've got the five Lander books I want to finish, the two Deviltree books, the fantasy trilogy that I've already written.  All these books need work, but I intend to finish them. 

No comments: