Monday, March 23, 2015

Woke up and started writing.

I know I'm onto something when I wake up and just start writing. 

Since I decided to break Tuskers III into three different books, I've been feeling inspired.

I've created a couple of new characters, and I believe the spinning out of their storylines will make the book a book. 

Linda really likes both new characters.  It's funny, I think I've found a talent for that -- creating characters with a few strokes, making them at least somewhat believable. For me, that's what becomes a plot.  I have an overall scenario, I create a few characters to inhabit that scenario and let them play out.   They are recognizably a 'type' but that's what makes it easy to create full fleshed characters faster.  Hopefully, they have individuality too.

The advice that is always given is to write, write, write.

For me, I'm sort of finding my strengths and weakness by writing. 

They aren't what I thought they were.

I thought I wanted to write fantasy, but I find I like writing in real world locations much more.  I'm still very strongly genre, however.  I find realistic drama to be incredibly boring.  I want the hook, the exotic, the interesting ideas.

I think my strengths are story and characters and a weird bent of mind. I'm relatively facile with words, and I could actually probably be more "artful" but I've decided purposely not to do that.  The story is everything.

Dialogue is a challenge, but I try to handle that by making it as simple as possible.  No Tarantino monologues for me.  No Sorkin-ish cleverness.  I try to make it serviceable, at least. I try to use a little subtle humor

Finding the right blend of description and yet a fast forward plot is always a challenge.  I'm still trying to learn how to do that.

I'm just trying to pursue what comes naturally, what feel right, and the more I do that, the more I find a groove.  I wasn't sure if my 'groove' was something that people would like, but I feel like the more in groove I feel, the more positive reaction I get.  So I'm just going to keep doing that.

I've been writing full time for about 2 1/2 years now, out of an original 5 year plan.  I've extended that plan for another 5 years.  I'm hoping I can keep improving.

No comments: